Currently, he focuses the research on user modeling, affective computing, behavior analysis, user personalities, learning analytics and recommender systems. But he is also interested in the following topics:
- HCI and Personalization: Recommender Systems, User Modeling, Affective Computing, Behavior Analytics
- Web Intelligence: Social Media, Computational Advertising, Digital Marketing
- Applications: Social Commerce, Shared Economy, Microfinance, Learning Analytics, MOOC, Tourism
- Data Science: AI/DM/DL, Business Intelligence, Decision Science, Learning Science
Below is a list of students or researchers under his supervision
- Maria Delgado Franco, Master Student
- Diego Sánchez, Part-time PhD Student
Research Projects and Contributions
- 2015 – Present, CARSKit: It is a Java-based open-source context-aware recommendation library.
- 2014 – Present, Context Suggestion: The entity to be recommended is not longer a list of items, but a ranked list of appropriate context information, in order to maxmize user experiences.
- 2014 – 2015, Similarity-Based Context Modeling: It provides a new way to incorporate context information into recommendation algorithms by learning similarity of contexts. And it is proved to work better than deviation-based context modeling approches (such as context-aware matrix factorization). See our papers in WISE 2015 and UMAP 2015
- 2014, Contextual Sparse Linear Method (CSLIM): It contains a series of effective context-aware recommendation algorithms built upon Sparse Linear Method (SLIM) for top-N context-aware recommendations. See our papers in CIKM 2014 and RecSys 2014
- 2012 – 2013, Differential Context Modeling (DCM): Differential context relaxation (DCR) and differential context weighting (DCW) are two hybrid context modeling approaches by using context information as filters. They are built upon neighborhood-based collaborative filtering (such as UserKNN, ItemKNN and slope one recommenders), and used to alleviate the sparsity problems in context-aware recommender systems.
- 2011 – 2012, Experience Discovery: We work on the project which provides personalized recommendation services to information learning and after-school programs for all the public schools in the greate Chicago area. It is funded and supported by Chicago Public Schools, City of Learning and MacArthur Foundations.
Data Sets for Recommender Systems
- Context-aware Data Sets: https://github.com/irecsys/CARSKit/tree/master/context-aware_data_sets
- Movies: MovieLens, MovieTweetings, Netflix Prize Data, DoubanMovie, FilmTrust, CiaoDVD, MovieReviews, Yahoo Movies
- Music: Million Song, Last.FM, Yahoo Music, Audioscrobbler
- Books/Jokes: Book-Crossing, Jester
- Restaurant: EntreeChicago, Yelp
- Reviews: Epinions, TripAdvisor, MovieReviews, Yelp
- Tagging: Last.FM,
- Dating: LibimSeTi
- Scholarly Paper/Citations: ACL and ACM library data, DBLP1, DBLP2, DBLP3, DBLP4
- Healthcare: Nursing Home, Hospital Ratings
- MicroFinance: Kiva
Open Source Recommender Engines
- Apache Mahout, Java-based library, especially for scalable data mining.
- MyMediaLite, .Net-based library, specifically for recommender systems.
- LensKit, Java-based recsys engine with classical recsys algorithms.
- LibFM, a library for Factorization Machines
- JavaFM, Java 8 Factorisation Machines Library
- PITF, for tag recommendations
- RankSys: Java 8 RecSys framework for novelty, diversity and much more
- LibRec, Java-based library which implements the state-of-the-art recsys algorithms.
- CARSKit, Java-based library for context-aware recommendations.